I found myself over the weekend, in between unpacking and attempting to get the overshare badge on Foursquare (Me? Overshare? Never!), reflecting on my stint being unemployed. As this had been the longest I had ever been unemployed, and hopefully it will never be that long again, a lot of craziness went down and I thought I might share some of that with you. Here are some of the silly, funny, and crazy things that happened. They say it’s important to find humor in things, which fortunately has never been a problem for me. So, for your amusement, here are some of my Tales from Unemployment!
– After the HR manager waxed poetic during our in person interview about how much the candidate experience meant to their company, they proceeded to string me along for another month before I got a canned rejection from their applicant tracking system. Can you say ironic?
– At an interview I was so surprised to be asked what the Fair Labor Standards Act was that for a few seconds I actually forgot what it was. This question was swiftly followed by what is the current minimum wage. Cause, you know, my PHR certification and Master’s degree was not good enough for them, they had to test me themselves.
– After receiving an offer for a contract position I asked a few questions before I would accept the role. The recruiter stated he would check with his boss and get back to me. I never heard from them again.
– There was the recruiter who never seemed to get my messages, voice mail and email, about setting up a phone screen. But she got them for everything else. We never did end up talking. Entirely my fault I’m sure.
– There was the staffing agency that spent 20 minutes telling me how wrong I was for a position only to end the call by letting me know they would be sending my resume in for the role right away.
Have some crazy stories yourself that you want to share? Hit me up in the comments so we can all have a good chuckle together!